Computer Science Department Online Adjunct Faculty
- Pasadena(Remote Position), United States
Posted In 3/12/2018
Positions are filled continuously and only candidates that are a match will be contacted. Applicants that meet the minimum qualifications and are hired will be added to the faculty pool and will be considered for relevant courses as they become available.
UoPeople volunteer instructors must make a weekly commitment of about 15 hours to course-related activities, which consist of responding to student emails and messages, posting discussion questions, engaging with students, grading learning journals, and reviewing peer assessments. Course instructors teach designated courses within their area of specialty using Moodle. Each UoPeople course is nine weeks. Instructors must be able to teach in an online world and understand the needs of a very diverse student population. The university provides its instructors with a modest honorarium, ranging from $350-500 USD per course. Undergraduate courses are 9 weeks long.
University of the People is a DEAC accredited institution.
- Devote approximately 15 hours per course per week and be able to check in on courses frequently, but at a minimum once every 48 hours.
- Communicate effectively with diverse student populations and global administration.
- Convey subject matter expertise in online class.
- Regularly check in with the Office of Faculty Affairs regarding any course issues.
- Monitor course grades and finalize grades as needed.
- Must be sensitive to a diverse student population, representing the full spectrum of cultural, political, socio-economic and religious backgrounds.
Salary: $350-500 USD per course
- Online teaching experience, preferably with Moodle.
- A minimum of a master’s degree; candidates with Ph.D. degrees are preferable.
- Expertise in the subject area of the course.
- Appreciation of a diverse student population, representing the full spectrum of cultural, political, socio-economic, and religious backgrounds.
- Instructors teaching general education courses at the undergraduate level must possess a Master’s degree in the assigned general education subject field or have a Master’s degree and 18 semester hours in the general education subject field.
About The Company
University of the People is a fully-accredited, non-profit, tuition-free, degree-granting online institution dedicated to opening access to higher education to qualified students from across the U.S. and around the globe. It capitalizes on open access technologies and open education resources to ensure that neither cost nor geography is a barrier to educational opportunity. UoPeople uses advanced technology to create an inclusive community of students and course instructors from over 200 countries. Their diverse political, economic, social, and cultural backgrounds create meaningful collaborative learning experiences that prepare graduates for the global and ever-changing world they will inhabit.
UoPeople is in the vanguard of online institutions serving an international student body and is leading the way in creating structures for effective operations in a virtual environment. Its instructional, administrative, financial, technological, and student support teams are composed of individuals who work from home, wherever home might be. Its governance, policy-making and management structures and carefully articulated organizational boundaries differentiate units with respect to authority, responsibilities, and accountability, and its system of extensive communications within and across units unifies the organization into a single, smoothly-functioning entity that minimizes duplication and ensures coverage.
UoPeople is an equal opportunity employer and seeks applicants who share its values of quality, opportunity and access and who are representative of its diverse student body. More information about the institution can be found at